Monday 14 April 2014

This Week in Free Comics (15/04/14) - A Whole Bunch of Meh

(Note: Apologies for not updating recently, but I've been busy. I've worked on the notes for Winter Soldier today, so those will be up next week. As I'll be in Amsterdam for the next few days, I won't be able to post anymore; so I'm putting this up in advance just with stuff from Marvel Unlimited.)

After All-New X-Men last week, we get the second part of The Arms of the Octopus. It's OK, but nothing special. The trade is available pretty cheaply anyway, bemusingly paired with the tritest $3.99 comic of last year: Wolverine: In the Flesh, something which I'm pretty sure would have been literally free a few years ago.
It's a photocomic. And I thought that was the realm of Tokyopop. One would expect that taking stills from an animated show would be ideal in a, you know, stylised comic book. You can tell they're screengrabs.

Is anyone even watching this show anyway? I'm pretty sure Ultimate Spider-Man is miles ahead of this.

Early in this series, Marvel were actually pretty cool. What we essentially got was an anthology of neat little vignettes, telling tales from Peter's/Spidey's life perhaps a little better than the TV series itself.

It's a photocomic.

We have DVR's, iTunes, iPads, DVDs, the marvel.com website, even... is there anyone who actually buys this stuff? To place TV on paper is simply archaic. The panel design is a lot more dynamic than with Agents of S.M.A.S.H., but if you've seen the episode, there's literally no need to read it. (I guess it's a viable alternative to watching the episode.)

No comments:

Post a Comment